Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 26: Digital Map Collections

Google Earth is one of the most exciting parts of my new Mac. It has brought a whole new life to the old game of spinning a globe, pointing your finger, and saying that one day I will live there. I have used it just for recreation so far. What does the Grand Canyon look like? Where should I visit on my trip to LA? I want to relive old memories from trips I've taken....

There are definitely ways that I can incorporate Google Earth into my curriculum, however. What a great tool it is. Next year, in cahoots with my new SmartBoard, I would like to use this program to show the students what the earth really looks like, and how World History played out on the same land that is around today but just in a different time.

It would also be a great tool to use to get my advisories attention. The kids need movement and imagery and a "wow" factor. Google Earth is one program that can give them this...along with some real learning!

No comments: